I recently read a very interesting article in the Metro about London’s burglary hotspots.
It listed 20 places in Britain where you are more likely to get your home broken into than anywhere else in the country.
If you think you’re safe from being burgled because you don’t live in a nice area or anywhere near a notorious city like Manchester, think again!
The results of the study might surprise you.
Here’s a list of areas in the country that are most affected by burglaries. It has been abbreviated a little because we focus on the London and Greater London areas including Hertfordshire and Essex borders only.
Britain’s Top 20 Burglary Hotspots
1. RM8 – Dagenham, Becontree, Becontree Heath (Greater London)
2. IG2 – Gants Hill, Newbury Park, Aldborough Hatch (Greater London)
3. M21 – Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Barlow Moor (Manchester)
4. DN2 – Intake, Wheatley, Wheatley Hills (South Yorkshire)
5. E18 – Woodford and South Woodford (London)
6. RM11 – Hornchurch, Emerson Park, Ardleigh Green (Greater London)
7. TW11 – Teddington, Fulwell, Bushy Park (Greater London)
8. BD2 – Eccleshill, Undercliffe, Wrose, Bolton Woods, Poplars Farm (West Yorkshire)
9. EN4 – Hadley Wood, Cockfosters, East Barnet, New Barnet (Greater London)
10. IG3 – Seven Kings, Goodmayes, Hainault, Chigwell (Greater London)
11. BD18 – Saltaire, Shipley, Windhill, Wrose (West Yorkshire)
12. W4 – Chiswick, Gunnersbury, Turnham Green, Acton Green, Bedford Park (London)
13. TW5 – Heston, North Cranford, West Osterley (Greater London)
14. IG8 – Woodford Green, Woodford Bridge, Highams Park (Greater London)
15. LS28 – Bagley, Calverley, Farsley, Pudsey, Stanningley (West Yorkshire)
16. BR5 – West Wickham (Greater London)
17. UB6 – Greenford, Perivale (Greater London)
18. UB4 – North Hayes, Yeading (Greater London)
19. N11 – New Southgate, Friern Barnet, Bounds Green, Arnos Grove (London)
20. LS15 – Austhorpe, Barwick-in-Elmet, Halton Moor, Manston, Whitkirk (West Yorkshire)
It’s quite a shock to see that besides traditional hotspots like Manchester, West Yorkshire and parts of Scotland and Wales, 14 London postcodes have made the list of the 20 worst-hit areas.
This gives London the dubious honour of now being the burglary capital of Britain.
London Is The Burglary Capital
According to the study if you live in East London and Essex you are more likely to suffer break-ins than anywhere else in the capital.
In fact, Dagenham is the UK’s top burglary hotspot closely followed by Woodford and South Woodford (E18) in East London.
But even posher neighbourhoods in North London and West London as well as towns on the outskirts of the capital – like Teddington, Chiswick, Barnet, Hadley Wood and Chigwell – aren’t immune.
These extremes highlight the fact that burglars don’t discriminate.
They target rich and poor alike.
As professional locksmiths we have found this to be true. These days, anyone can be the victim of crime, especially break-ins because most burglars are opportunists.
They target busy urban areas where there’s plenty of hustle and bustle and therefore less risk of being caught.
But they also follow the money.
That’s why so many affluent areas in London, Hertfordshire and Essex appear on the list.
We often get called out in emergencies to board up windows and doors after burglaries and to replace damaged locks across London.
There’s nothing worse than being burgled and having your cherished possessions stolen, especially items of sentimental value that can’t be replaced.
But it’s important to realise that many break-ins can be avoided. You are not helpless and every homeowner and business owner can take certain precautions to avoid becoming a victim of crime.
In our experience the best protection is always prevention.
Protect Yourself From Being Burgled
It’s a small price to pay for peace of mind and the knowledge that you, your loved ones, your home and your business are safe from criminals.
So if you live in a burglary hotspot don’t wait until you’re affected.
Call us today for a free security appraisal. We will check your home or business for free and alert you to any potential risks and tips on what you can do to prevent a burglary.
We cover all areas of London especially North London and East London, as well as areas of Hertfordshire and Essex that border the capital.
There’s no call out fee, just honest pricing and good old-fashioned customer service!